Summer days …
The lazy summer days of being a lifeguard may look easy but there is a lot of training and preparation that goes into having one the most enviable jobs!
A lifeguard supervises the safety and rescue of swimmers, surfers, and other water sports participants such as in a swimming pool, water park, or beach. Lifeguards are strong swimmers and trained in first aid, certified in water rescue using a variety of aids and equipment depending on requirements of their particular venue. In some areas, lifeguards are part of the emergency services system to incidents.
A lifeguard’s key duties (usually as part of a team, but in some places, lifeguards may occasionally be required to work on their own) are to:
- Enforce rules in order to anticipate problems/injuries
- Maintain concentrated observation of the duty area and its users in order to anticipate problems and to identify an emergency quickly
- Supervise the use of other equipment when allocated to that duty (such as water slides or any other activities taking place)
- Carry out rescues and initiate other emergency action as necessary
- Give immediate first aid in the event of injury to a bather or other incident
- Communicate with bathers and other users to help fulfill the above tasks
- Lifeguards may have other secondary duties such as cleaning, filing paperwork, checking a swimming pool’s chlorine and pH levels or acting as a general information point.
(Sourced from Wikipedia)
hosting school groups …
May 31st was a sunny and warm day at the Fairmont Hot Springs Resort pool and the lifeguards had the pleasure of meeting and interacting with the 2011 graduating class from Bonners Ferry, Idaho, USA. There were 102 graduates with us that day, enjoring a day of swimming, diving and volleyball, followed by a picnic. It was a real pleasure having them with us and we want to say congratulations to all the graduates!
To read more about our friendly neighbours in the south, visit the Bonners Ferry webpage at www.bonnersferrychamber.com.
- From Cathy DeGuise, Pools Manager, and Pools Staff